Thursday, December 9, 2010

November 19, 2010

     My parents left today after a nice visit, so I have plenty of time to goof off again.  Back to the boat I go.  I had planned to clean out and start disassembling the head, but that didn’t happen.  I did a little work in the v berth again and started stripping out the locker.

     The ugly purple pieces of wood that held in the cushions had to come out, so I figured they would make excellent supports for the future piece of plywood that will fill in the rest of the “V”.  They were an almost perfect fit.  Really not that surprising seeing as they were just being moved down a couple of inches.  I had to trim off about a quarter of an inch from each side but then they slid right into place.  They are only temporarily installed because I am going to have to notch out a couple of pieces to install some supports running across the opening, but I don’t have any suitable wood on hand right now.
 
     I then started gutting the locker because it looked easier to do than tackling than the head.  It turned out that one of the walls was covered with formica type stuff that just peeled off… after I removed a bunch of screws, bolts, trim pieces and other junk holding it in place.  I also pulled out a bunch of the wiring that was running through there.  Most of it was speaker wire, but some of it was just wire not hooked up to anything.  Sure would be nice to know what they were for.  I’m sure some of it will need to be put back, but for now it’s cleaned out.  I knocked out some of the cabinet covers, but they are in there good.  Going to have to remember to bring the sawz-all out there with me to finish the job.  The next step is to sand this all down and get a coat or two of primer in there as well.  I think I’m actually going to splurge on some of that expensive bilge paint to use back in what will be cabinets and storage area.  I’m going to need the stuff sooner or later, might as well get it now while I can get in some of these areas that will be covered up later.

No comments: