Monday, December 27, 2010

Filling Holes

     I got a late start today because of a late night at work.  When I got home I slept away the first half of the day.  At least it was a little warmer when I finally ventured out.

     I cut out the piece to finish filling in the berth at home and brought it out there.  It almost fits, but is going to need a bit of sanding to get it to squeeze in.  Then I need to figure out how I'm going to attach it, I still haven't decided.  Not wanting to tackle this at the moment I moved on to other things for now.

     I spent more time than I wanted trying to patch a piece of the sole that got damaged  when the previous owner removed the old inboard.  Apparently it fell pretty hard on the floor and knocked out a piece.  I think I'm going to have to fill it with some fiberglass because I think that is what the rest of the floor is made of.  For now I just cut a piece of poplar I had laying around to fit and put it in place.

     I got a new tool for Christmas that cuts, sands, and routers.  You can use it like a jigsaw and cut curves, which is really nice for the boat.  Nothing seems to be square or line up properly.  One area I need to fill in is the hole left from the icebox removal, and that definitely has a weird shape.  I filled in the hole with a piece (or 2) of cardboard to use as a template, then measured and marked how much bigger I want it to be.  Now I need to figure out how to install it.  It will be behind the new icebox, so I don't think I will have to worry about making it removable.  Tomorrow I will cut it out and try to fit it.


     The orange funk you see in the top of the photo is a filler foam of some type that someone put it when they siliconed down the hatch for the old ice box.  It is attached to the cover and seeing as how that is probably getting filled in I didn't see any reason the spend time or make a mess removing it.  Hopefully it will just pull out in one piece with the cover.

No comments: