Monday, January 3, 2011

Battery box

     I am planning on replacing the ladder coming into the boat with steps to make it easier.  The plan is to make the counter continue all the way to the port side, using it as the top of the new icebox and the top step to get in.  To do this, I need to move the battery box forward a little bit so I can use the top of it as the bottom step.  There will be either one or two steps in between eventually.  I want to replace and relocate the battery switch so there is no point in trying to save the old one.  I was as careful as I could be during the demolition of this area but ended up pulling the few remaining wires free during the process.  I ended up pulling them all out at that point, because I'm going to be relocating them anyway.  I just need to remember to get the bilge pump hooked back up in the next day or two as well as the charging system.  That means I need to figure out where I want to install the new wire runs.  A little earlier than I was planning on tackling the electrical, but such is life.


     I used cardboard to make a template and cut out the new front.  I installed it flush with the galley edge giving myself about another 2 inches to play with for the step.  I still need to seal it up with some epoxy and either stain or paint it, but I am trying to make everything easy to remove so this shouldn't be too big of a deal to do later.  I might end up getting a thin piece of hardwood to put on the front as well.  I saved the cardboard just in case I need to cut out a piece to size.  Now that this is installed I can use the top piece to continue framing out the part of the counter that will also function as the engine cover (for the non existent engine).  The front vertical piece will rest on the back edge of the battery box cover helping hold it in place.  I used the existing top of the battery box but I need to figure out how to remove the ladder supports without damaging it too bad.  It is a very attractive piece but will need to be sanded down and refinished.

No comments: