Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Paint & phone work

     The little bit of time I spent at the boat today was filled with painting.  I got the first coat of paint on the area that will be behind the starboard side backrest, the shelves in there, and the backside of the actual backrest itself.   Unfortunately, I think it is going to need two, if not three, coats to cover well.  Bah.  Even with everything opened up the smell got to be horrific.  Between that and the fact that I couldn't do a whole lot working around wet paint I decided to call it a day out there. That and it is just plain out hot this week!  Tomorrow I am going to have to temporarily install the backrest.  It will be easy enough to pull back off for the next coat of paint and it will make what is coming up that much easier.  It will also allow me to mark out the cutouts to access the storage areas.

     I came home and spent a while on the phone with different marinas.  My slip fee is up at the end of the month and I really don't feel like paying what they want.  I have a bunch of different quotes from other places in the area, some of which are much nicer, that I plan on taking to the office tomorrow to see if they will work with me.  Cross your fingers for me.  I would really like to stay where I am because of the location and people I have met there, but if I have to move to save a grand I will.

     Come this weekend the wife and I are making a week long trip up north to visit family.  While I'm looking forward to getting out of this heat for a week it means all this marina fun is on a bit more of an accelerated pace than it should be.  If I have to move in the next couple of days I have a lot of work to be done.  Not only do I have to clean out a whole bunch of tools, plywood, and other assorted building materials, I also have to get a bunch of stuff back on the boat.

     That means it is time to go out to the barn and start digging through all the junk I pulled off the boat at the beginning of this thing and find some stuff I will need.  Flares, life jackets, anchor, chain, etc.  Well, maybe after this beer.  It is still hot out there!

No comments: