Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Making holes

     Today I decided to make some holes.  It seems like I am always filling them in, so it was a nice change of pace.  I used my Dremel Trio (thanks baby!) to cut out the openings in the backrest.  The only one I didn't get done was for the electrical panel, because I still can't decide how I want to do it.  The three hatches in the bottom will be covered by the back cushion so I did these first to get the hang of it.  Surprisingly I didn't have any miscuts.  The bare wood you can see on the sides are supports I added so they don't fall back inside.  They will eventually be primed and painted the same as the outside of the backrest, whatever color that will be.  I also used a 3/4 bit to cut a hole in the center of each piece to aid removal.  Now I need to figure out if (and then how) to have these latch.

     The access holes on the top were cut out the same way, but I didn't install any catches on the backside.  I am debating on how to do these.  The ways I am thinking about are having a hinged cover, having caned covers like on Glissando, or just smoothing them up and leaving them the way they are.  I have about a 2 1/2 inch lip all the way around and I was thinking I could run a bungee cord across the middle to help keep stuff in place.  Anyone have a vote?

     Sorry about the dark picture.  It was getting late in the day and the sun starts doing weird things out there.  I'll try to be quicker next time. 

     Tomorrow is supposed to be around 60 so I might actually get to do some epoxy work and fill in more holes.  I'm planing on removing and redoing the handrails (the 3 out of 4 that are on), so I should probably do that first so I can fill those holes as well.  We all know how reliable the weather predictions can be though.

     I'm off to grill up some burgers and endive for dinner.  Cross your fingers for me for good weather.

No comments: