Friday, February 4, 2011

I smell like paint

     So the weatherman predicted 40 degree weather today.  I figured that meant I could fill in the holes from all the exterior hardware I removed with some epoxy.  I should know better than to trust the stupid weather report.  It was too cold to work outside and have the epoxy cure properly, so I cranked up the heater and went to work inside.

     I almost used up the quart of Brightsides, but it was worth it.  It always amazes me how much of a difference a coat of paint can make.  I got the top shelf, behind the backrest, and the back side of the backrest painted.  I'm hoping I didn't miss any spots and that one coat will work here as well as it did underneath the galley area.  This part of the project would be so much nicer in warm weather.  I had to have the hatch open to let out the fumes, but my little heater couldn't really keep up that way.  It was cold and smelly, but worth it.  It is always nice seeing something start to come together.

     The next step with this is to install a couple of cleats on the bottom for support (that I may have forgotten to do before painting), and then screw the backrest into place.  I still haven't decided exactly where or how I want to do the cut outs for access yet, and I'm hoping with it put in place something will strike my fancy.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm kind of new to this whole boat thing and would hate to spend years staring at something I did thinking "I should have...". 

     This concludes my boat adventure for the next week and a half or so.  The misses and I are going to be taking a trip down to New Orleans.  Before you get excited, we are going for work, not play.  OK, maybe a little bit of playing, but mostly work.  Our tenants are leaving so we have to go do any needed repairs, a little sprucing up, and find some new people to pay the mortgage on this anchor.  Like the little boat pun?  Unfortunately, the house will be empty.  This means that anything we want to have with us like tools, cooking stuff, cleaning supplies, and whatever we decide to do for sleeping needs to be carted down there with us.  Add in the problem of not having a dog sitter and it looks like we are driving.  Eighteen hours (each way) with the dog in the backseat.  I can hardly contain myself.

No comments: