Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Back at it

     I've been slacking lately but got back at it today.  I continued work on the icebox; what a pain that is turning in to.  If I had known how bad it was I would have just cut out a spot for a cooler and called it good.

     I cut out the lid on the top and added the supports to hold it up when it is set in place.  Of course this also involved trimming a bunch of the already installed insulation to make it fit properly.  I also put insulation on the bottom side of the top, although right now I only have two inches.  I'm not sure if I am going to bring this up to three to match the rest or not.  After I finally got everything to fit I took it back apart so I could start working on the liner.

     I am using 1/4" plywood to line the inside of the box and then plan covering it with epoxy to seal it and then glassing over everything for strength.  After that it will need to be sanded down and painted, but compared to actually building this nightmare that should be no problem.  I wanted to make sure that the pieces fit nice and snug, but it is hard to reach in there and make a good template.  I ended up using a bunch of newspaper and tape to get the forms, then transferring that over to cardboard.  When I was finally satisfied that the fit was good I cut out the wood and put it in place.  It isn't attached to the insulation yet but is nice and snug just from the tight fit. 

     I got the front, back, and starboard side pieces done before calling it a day.  I saved the most difficult for last.  It covers the floor and curves up to the port side.  The curve is going to suck, but I also have to have a nice tight cut out for the drain.  I think I'm going to end up doing this in two separate pieces just to make it easier.

     Most of the pictures I took today didn't turn out very well, but at least this one gives you and idea of how it is coming together.  Notice all the crazy cutouts on the left side for the supports and insulation that will be on the lid.  Lots of fun.

No comments: