Thursday, October 27, 2011

More cardboard

     I started off today with the icebox.  I sanded down the second coat of fairing and got the cover to almost fit.  It is going to need a bit more sanding on the lid and just a couple touch up spots with the epoxy, but it is getting close.  I ran out of latex gloves so I decided to move on to another project for now.

   

     I moved up to the head area to start with.  I cut out and installed the side supports for the two shelves I positioned earlier.  I think they will need a support in the back as well, but those will need to be epoxied in place.  The no glove situation strikes again!  These will be easier to position properly once the shelf is installed anyway, so no biggie.  Next came the seemingly never ending cardboard templates.  It is hard to believe how time consuming it is getting them cut out for the shelves.  The words straight and even just don't apply to this boat.  I brought some plywood with me to cut these out, but I under estimated how big they would end up and didn't have big enough pieces.  It seems that will have to wait for another day.

   


     I decided how I am going to do the hanging locker today and started working on that as well.  The back part was originally storage shelves and I am going to keep those, with a bit of a remodel.  They used to be walled off with access holes but I am going to leave them open with a large fiddle on the front of each shelf to keep stuff from sliding out.  I am planning on using some of the scrap teak I pulled off earlier to make these.  I found appropriate pieces in my pile, I just need to cut them down to size, sand the nasty purple and green paint off, and varnish them before installing.  It looks good in my head; hopefully it will turn out the way I envision it.  I cleaned up the old shelf supports and cut out more cardboard to fit.  Thankfully this side was much easier because I still have the old ones that don't fit very well to work off of.

     The part closest to the head is where the clothes hanger used to be that I want to change up a bit.  The bottom of it angles pretty steeply making it hard to use.  This is also a good spot for the depth/fish finder to be installed and I would rather not be banging this around with other stuff.  The solution was to make a box of sorts in the bottom.  This leaves me room for the depth finder and a little bit of storage I will figure out later as well as a flat area.  It almost looks like a seat across from where the toilet will be.  The plan is to leave this open but have eye hooks up both sides.  This will allow me to stretch some bungee material across and leave a large storage area for the unused sails.  I installed the cleats to support the "bench" and cut out template for the top of it as well.  It seems I forgot to get a picture of this.  I'll be sure to take one once I get the wood cut out and installed.

     Looks like I am going to need more plywood.

No comments: