Friday, October 21, 2011

Another day

     I spent a couple of hours at the boat today playing with the electrical system and the icebox.  I got the colored lights on both sides and the white one on the stern working, but struck out on the mast light.  The two sides had corroded connectors on the bulbs and the stern light just didn't have a bulb. Pretty easy fixes there.  

     The mast has two light on it, one up top that looks like an all around red/green/white light and another light further down the mast which points down and I believe to be the spreader light.  There are two wires coming out at the base of the mast, one a 3 conductor and the other a 2 conductor.  I'm pretty sure the three is for the top one.  If I'm guessing right, one is a ground, one is power for the red/green, and the other is for the white (to be used as an anchor light).  Earlier I wired from the 3 conductor through a connection by the base of the mast and back to the panel.  I was hoping to be able to figure out what wire is what through trial and error.  The first try led to sparks shooting all over.  Not what I had expected.

     It turns out that the wires I used in the connector going through the boat was too big.  Because of this the screws holding the wire in the pins stuck out too much and were making contact with the outer casing.  After fixing this problem it seemed I was back to where I started a couple of hours earlier.  This time when I tried different combinations of wires I got nothing.  Either the bulbs up top are burned out or it isn't even hooked up.  Neither would surprise me.  Now I'm going to figure out how to use the bosuns chair left with the boat and see if I can get up top to check it out.

     The two conductor still needs to be run through the boat and back to the panel, but I am in no hurry with this one.  The one on top would allow me to be out of the slip at night, and with the days ending so early this time of year that would be helpful.  There has been more than one time that I have been hurrying for the marina right around sundown. 

     I also did a little work on the icebox trying to finish it off.  The part where the lid fits in place was still just roughed in and while it worked, it left a lot to be desired.  I filled in around the foam with some 1/4" plywood and used some epoxy mixed with filler to smooth it out.  After it dries I will sand it down and more than likely have to do at least a second coat before painting it white to match the inside.


     When I left I was met with a car that wouldn't start because of a dead battery.  It has sounded like it was getting harder to start lately but I was hoping it was just my imagination.  Apparently not.  Thankfully the marina is close to home so I just walked.  It will be easier to deal with once the wife gets home from work.  Tomorrow I will bring the battery to a shop to get tested.  It is only about 2 years old, so I am thinking it isn't the problem.  Might be time for an alternator replacement boys and girls.  As much as that sucks, the car does have 130K + miles on it and I have gotten off very easy so far on repairs.  Other than routine maintenance, the only thing I have had to do was replace an O2 sensor and a clutch.  Hopefully this isn't the beginning of the end for the mustang.  I was hoping to get another couple of years out of it.

 

2 comments:

Fiddler's Green said...

I think the old 'stang probably has a lot of life left in her. If you decide to get rid of her, get an old truck that doesn't have a note. Debt is plague! If you're going to pull the boat this year, that will be the time to work the mast. Unstepped good!

JD said...

I hope it lasts for awhile. I haven't had a payment on it in 6 years and it has been beyond nice. I have been thinking about getting a small truck though, it would come in very handy.

On a side note, it was the alternator, and it was a very easy replacement. Not exactly cheap, but what can you do? Yhe 'stang lives to see another day.