Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thoughts

     I spent some time out at the boat yesterday, but didn't get much actual work done.  Most of it was spent sitting and staring at the head area and engine box.  I did replace my light that didn't work with a (I thought) new one of the same type I found, but that one doesn't work either.

     Staring at the head was actually productive even if I didn't get anything built.  I was trying to figure out how/where to build shelves.  This is complicated by the fact that I am going to need multiple hoses running through everything and the stuff is far from flexible or forgiving.  I may end up trying to make most of it out of solid PVC with "buffers" for movement being made with the sanitation hose.  I'm going to need to research this and see how plausible it is.  I also need to come up with a new holding tank before doing a whole lot.

     On to the engine box.  I am currently using an outboard to get me in and out of the marina, but have always had a desire to put an inboard back in.  Cost made me think this would never happen, or at least not happen for years to come.  I tried to build the engine box big enough to eventually put one in.  It turns out eventually might be a lot closer than I imagined.

      Not having any idea what I am doing with this boat, I often turn to The Plastic Classic Forum for answers and ideas.  One day I half joked to a guy trying to sell an Atomic 4 (the original engine type) in Kentucky that I would come and pick it up if he couldn't sell it.  Well, the other day he sent me a message saying it was mine if I could come get it.  Holy crap!  I immediately began trying to figure out how I could get it.  I was comparing shipping costs vs. renting a truck (the Mustang just wouldn't cut it) and driving out to get it.  Neither was looking very good money wise.  Putting this on hold for the weekend, I flew up to Michigan for a cousin's wedding.  Congratulations "L" & "J".

     While I was there i found out my brother is driving down to Cincinnati this coming weekend.  Quickly pulling up a map we found out this is only two hours away from where the engine is.  He agreed to go pick it up for me when we talked about it if he can get a hitch hooked up to his car using our other brother's small little trailer.  I don't want to celebrate prematurely, but it looks like it is going to work.

     Thank you "M" and  Surveyor, this is appreciated more than you know.  I guess I know what my winter project is now.

No comments: