Friday, April 8, 2011

Sticky mess

     I got rained out working on the boat today.  The holes from the outside handrail were leaking all over.  I guess I need to find a better solution than tape to cover them.  Or I could finish and reinstall them.

     Before I ran away I attempted to use epoxy for the first time.  I got a coat over the bare wood in the icebox, as well as a start on rounding out the corners in here.  I believe they call this a filet.  Fancy eh?  I used the Colloidal Silica thickener.  A little bit for most, and a bunch of it to make the epoxy thick enough to do the filets.  These seemed to be more difficult than they should have been (a recurring theme with the boat it seems).  I just got the 2 on the engine box side done before rain started to drip on my head.

     I had to rig up something to direct the water away from the icebox making further work on it not an option.  I may not be an expert with this stuff, but I would guess water in it isn't the best idea.

     All in all, today went better than expected.  I made a little bit of a mess, but I think I learned a little bit and am (so far) happy with the results.

No comments: