Monday, August 1, 2011

More painting

     I went it out to the boat today just to make sure everything was OK and clean up a bit and got sucked in.  Probably a good thing seeing as i want to get this project to a point where I can enjoy the boat.  I cleaned out the engine box and put the outboard in there to give me some room.  This reinforced my idea about making the covers easily removable because it was a pain to wiggle it in there.  I marked up the covers where they need to be sanded and measured for the hinge I will need.  While I had it all opened I hooked up the battery charger that is installed on the side of the galley and hooked it up to the battery to charge.  Free electricity at the new marina so why not?  Then it was time to start some real work.

     I started by measuring, making, and installing the supports to hold the cut outs in the backrest.  After they were installed I figured I should finish them so I removed the whole backrest and sanded the corners of them down and primed them.  Seeing as I had the backrest out I swept out all the dust from making the cuts and cleaned it all up.  Then I went ahead and put the second (and last) coat of paint on the inside.  Nothing holding me back from re installing the backrest now, so back in place it went.  Then I went ahead and painted the above mentioned supports and cutouts because the primer was already dry and I already had a brush used with primer.  My justification for that was not having to buy another $1 brush.  Weak.

     At this point I was so disgustingly sweaty I couldn't bear the thought of doing anymore for the day.  My hat was actually so saturated by sweat that it was dripping pretty steadily from the brim.  I didn't think to take any pictures, but you can look at pictures earlier of the other side to get an idea if you want.  It is pretty similar, except in the aft the backrest goes down instead of up.

No comments: