Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Electrical Work

     I spent today working on the electrical system.  I started by testing my GFI outlet to make sure it was wired up correctly.  Yay!  It works!  I then finally pulled out the long ass extension cord and ran the shore power to my new connection in the cockpit.

     Next I moved down to the bilge.  Joy.  I installed a connector bar in the bilge right up under the sole and connected the bilge pump and float switch up.  I ran a 3 conductor wire specifically made for the bilge up to the panel location.  While I was doing that I also ran a red and a black wire up through the conduit from near the battery to the panel.  The red will be for constant power for the bilge pump switch so I don't have to turn everything else on for it to work and the black is an extra for later.  I started hooking up the auto/manual switch but I didn't have a small enough screwdriver with me.  I also could use a wiring diagram for the switch.  It should be easy to wire, but I want to make sure I do it all correctly.

     I also started installing the cut off switch for the battery.  I put it on the panel in front of the battery, in the upper right hand corner.  As of now, the only thing I am planning on having wired around this is the bilge switch.  Right now it is held in place with two screws.  I need to take the back cover with me to the hardware store so I can get some bolts and nuts to install it correctly.  I also need to buy some lugs for the lines to run from the battery and switch up to the bus bars in the panel.  I used a short wire with connectors already installed from the old broken switch to hook up the switch to the battery so that leaves me with four to buy and install.

     While I was at the store I also bought a float switch and auto/manual switch for it for the fishing boat.  The amount of water that can collect in that thing after one good rain is pretty amazing.  I'm pretty sure this is why I keep getting water in the fuel and have a hard time with the motor.  I'm going to have to add a fuel/water separator sometime in the future as well.

No comments: