Friday, November 4, 2011

Shelving, still

     I started off today at the hardware store looking for the pieces I wanted to run the sanitation hose through.  I found what I needed, but it was more expensive than I thought it should be and it got me thinking.  The hose is pretty ugly and seems to accumulate grime pretty easy, so why not hide the whole thing?  It turns out that it fits very nicely in 2" PVC pipe.  It was a pain in the butt to get everything lined up properly and cut out but I think it turned out pretty well.  It is just sitting in place in the picture held up with the friction from the well sized holes in the shelves.  Once I have the hose run through I will figure out a way to semi-permanently hold it up.

     Before cutting the holes for the PVC I stepped back to admire my handy work when I discovered the two shelves were uneven by about 3/4".  It sucked having to adjust everything to get it in line, but I sure am glad I figured it out before cutting anything to install the pipe.

     The shelves in the head area as well as the hanging locker are all screwed in place and primed up.  The next step is to get a couple of coats of bilgecoat paint on everything before working on the front covers.  Much easier to do now with so much open space.  Hopefully it will be warm enough next week to make that possible.

     At some point I am also going to need to drill a couple of smaller holes in the shelves to run the holding tank vent hose through.  I wish I would have thought of this before putting everything together.  It is such a tight fit that I actually have to remove the cleats in order to get the shelves in place.  I'm not sure if I am going to take it all apart and do this before painting or figure out a way to do it later.

No comments: