Thursday, June 23, 2011

Back at it

     I know I have been absent from this for a while.  Life seems to have been pretty busy in the last couple of weeks.  We had a visit from the wife's dad, had to unexpectedly replace a car, and went on a week long trip to visit my family in Michigan.  Yesterday I did absolutely nothing, but today I jumped back in to the boat.

     I put the third and final coat of paint on the inside of the icebox and the bottoms of the top pieces.  After getting the drain installed I will be able to seal it up and give it a test run.  It's hot out there and  it would sure be nice to keep some cold beverages on hand for when I'm "working".

     After painting I decided to see if I could get the drain in place.  Of course I couldn't.  The first problem was the drain tube.  During all my fiberglass work I seemed to have filled it with fairing epoxy.  I tried to chisel it out, but that wasn't happening.  I ended up having to cut it out from the side leaving a nice big hole in the insulation.  After I get it back together I will fill it with some filling foam.  Once I had the whole piece out it cleaned out quickly and easily.  I then tried to install it only to figure out that the hole where the top piece of the drain fits had grown smaller with all the epoxy work.  It shouldn't be a big deal to widen it out a little bit but I didn't want to do it while the paint was still tacky.  I guess it will just have to wait a bit.

     I wasn't ready to go home yet so I started doing some picking up and organizing.  I had put it off for a while now and it was starting to look pretty bad.  While picking up I started moving my supplies and tools over so I can start working on the seating area on the starboard side. With this done I had a nice big open area in to start with.  The first step will be to sand everything down and fill the multitude of old holes created by who knows what.  Then comes the priming, and then I can move on to building out the backrest and dividers.  I'm actually looking forward to that part.  Crazy huh?

     Before I can start sanding I had to remove an old covering of some sort from the side.  Most of it seems to have been cut off at some point in the past, leaving only a piece running behind the backrest from the galley to the forward wall.  It seemed to peel off pretty easily, but left a nasty residue of some sort.  I'm sure it is from the adhesive origionally used to hold it in place.  I'm hoping that it will come off with the sander, but I ran out of time for the day so I will have to wait to find out.

No comments: